Tuesday, October 6, 2009

girls in the house


cupcake party

girls in the kitchen

mallory & her girlies

bonus: they cleaned up their mess

I knew that as the girls got older their desire to hang out with mom & dad & each other would change as their desire to hang out with friends grew. I'm o.k. with this - partly because I know it's a part of life & where they are right now & mostly because they both have made fabulous choices in friends.

I have always wanted our home to be a place where they felt comfortable to bring their friends, and I love that they do. I like the peace and quiet of an empty house, but I also really like the sound of kids in the house doing their thing. So when the house has girl things strewn from one end to another after a sleepover, icing on the ceiling from a cupcake party, makeup on the counter after getting ready for homecoming, tshirts drying/hanging in the garage for spirit week, & music & laughter & talking, I smile. It's all good and just as it should be.

2 comments:

mom/carla said...

And before you know it, you will miss it like crazy (most of the time, anyway). Fortunately, this is replaced with grandkid messes :)

PS. The cupcakes looks yummy!

kirstin said...

I love it that your house is the "hang out house." I felt like my parents always made it a priority to make our house a place where we wanted to bring our friends- I loved that. And I love it that you are doing that for your girls! They will look back and thank you for the potential trouble they avoided just by being home instead of somewhere else. :)