Saturday, February 28, 2009

Haley is 7!!!

Haley's Party


Yesterday was my niece Haley's birthday, and we got to spend it with her. (I love that part about being back in Colorado.) She had 8 little 7 yr olds over for a party and most stayed for the sleepover. There was lots of shrieking, giggling, running and even crying, and at 8:30, we got to go back home to a quiet house.

At times like this I think back to when Mallory and Jillian were that age and remember how much fun it was. I also think about how much fun right now is. I use to worry that as they got older I wouldn't have as much input in their lives and wouldn't get to spend as much time with them. It's really not like that at all. They may not need us in the same way as they did when they were 7, and we may not get to spend the same amount of time together. However, if I look closely, I see some amazing small moments with them.

Here's a list of a few of the ones that I value:

1. Praying with them each night before they go to bed and knowing that they expect that

2. Driving in the car with them - especially if it's just one of them

3. Crowding in the bathroom when we're all trying to get ready to go somewhere

4. Doing their hair for school or special occassions

5. Shopping (I LOVE having girls!)

6. Celebrating their achievements with coffee and dessert

7. Watching movies on the couch

2 comments:

jordan said...

...such sweet moments with your girls! I get sad about the girls growing up too (though I am ready for less temper tantrums) so it is fun to read about some things I have to look forward to!

mom/carla said...

Although my times with the kids are much less frequent, I have come to enjoy the times that we ARE together. But there are times when I miss them...like when I want to watch a girlie movie on the couch (no offense but it really isn't the same with Mark and it happens a lot less).

Quite often my time is spent in telephone calls...most are short calls. Sometimes, however, we can actually sit and "catch-up". I really enjoy these! Different stages in life bring different "favorite times" and build new memories of time spent with our kids!